Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
k8k8  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:47:59 AM(UTC)
k8k8

Hi Doug,

I read a newspaper story the other day warning that exchange traded funds can create a lot of tax-accounting headaches because they're all taxed at different rates and it's a tricky area for investing in the first place. Do you advise investors to steer away from ETFs because of these various hassles, or is there an easy way to manage the taxes?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Pawche  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:14:42 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Hi,
This is not Doug but I deal with a lot of tax issues for Club Accounting.
ETFs can be a pain if you do not pay attention to the type of investments they make.
Whether to avoid them altogether or not depends on the amount of time you want to put into researching them. Also, will you be purchasing for a personal account or for an investment club.
If for a club, I would recommend staying away from any ETF that buys and holds precious metals. Because of the different treatment of gains from these investments and the expenses of the fund the accounting software for clubs just does not support these types of ETFs.
Different problems arise for ETFs that are basically a group of REIT investments. REITs also have some special tax treatment which cause Extra Tax Frustration (I liked that!) and ETFs that only invest in REITs will pass along that extra work.
These are not the only types of ETFs that can cause tax headaches. However, there are many that are treated like a stock or mutual fund and have no extra tax issues. So like many things in investing you just need to do your research to be sure you are not getting one that will give you that extra frustration at tax time.

Russell Malley
StockCentral Community Leader