Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mybettyjune  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2011 3:44:51 PM(UTC)
mybettyjune

I heavily relied on RiskGrades.com for several years to analyze the risks and returns of individual holdings in my portfolio, as well as the overall risk and return on my portfolio as a whole and in relation to various indices.  I would like to think that it has "saved" me from making mistakes in my portfolio.  I know that I sleep better after using it.  That's the good news.

Now, for the bad.  When I attempted to use it today, I found that it is no longer available (discontinued after 6/30/11 although I used it earlier this week).  A message on the homepage directs financial institutions to contact MSCI for available commercial products and services. 

I am in shock.

Does anyone know the background on the termination?  Better yet, what suggestions do you have for me to analyze the risks and returns of my holdings and portfolio as I did in the past?

Betty Hill

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

gerlach  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:18:52 AM(UTC)
gerlach

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I don't know of any alternatives, but you might consider looking at the beta of your holdings. Beta measures the volatility of the price of a security compared to a benchmark (for stocks, it compares the security to the S&P 500, typically). I've been mulling over whether or not it would be useful to incorporate beta into some of our tools here on StockCentral, in fact.

Doug
DannyM  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:39:07 AM(UTC)
DannyM

I wouldn't. Then you are relying on investor sentiment to make decisions. A very short term view.

hlwiener  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 5:29:56 AM(UTC)
hlwiener

Isn't the P/E ratio a measure of investor sentiment?

DATA_TREASURER  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2011 9:58:37 AM(UTC)
DATA_TREASURER

Beta is a reflection of how the company performs with respect to changes to the market in general, and is probably more a measure of inherent risk in a stock or a particular industry then a measure of investor sentiment. I guess in some ways it might be considered a measure of earnings leverage off a overall economic performance.

How to incorporate that into a SSG is tough but somehow or other I think you could expect to see high beta stock to have high PE variations over time as opposed to low beta stocks. But quantifying that would be difficult. I think it is useful information however.

tonyr53  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:54:27 AM(UTC)
tonyr53

Some options for replacing Riskgrade may be the following:

http://portfoliomonkey.com/welcome

It is web-based, but limits how many securities can be in a portfolio.

http://quantext.com/

This site run by Geoff Considine offers an Excel file that can be used on a trial basis.  It also limits the size of portfolios.

Tony

trader57  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:59:27 AM(UTC)
trader57

The AAII also used Risk Grades to help drive a model portfolio service they provide.  You might consider contacting them to see if they have an alternative

DER