Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jncraig  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 10, 2008 8:23:18 AM(UTC)
jncraig

These are really tough times. So, I'm wondering how people are handling investing.

The one thing that I know if ... DON'T SELL!  It's way too late.

Besides that, what are people thinking ...

Joe

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

paul5028  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 3:15:57 AM(UTC)
paul5028

Joe,

Very good advice, "don't sell!"

I have added a few shares of high quality stocks that are in my buying range. This bear market too shall end.

Paul Skyles
fastfred  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:26:03 AM(UTC)
fastfred

I am selling to offset the  gains that I have taken this year. I have stocks that have to double to get even and I can but back later at a better price. I have long term gains and short term. I don't think it really matters to mix the gains and losses.

DannyM  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 5:34:49 PM(UTC)
DannyM

BlueOkie  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:23:32 AM(UTC)
BlueOkie

I'm looking for firms with good balance sheets.  Good cash flow, low debt.  I see consolidation and M&A activity.  Aren't the solid firms  owned by the more risk averse investors.  The down market has their money moving out of the market.

People who pull money out of their 401k's will have to do something with the cash.  I think it goes to money market's or T-Bills which increases liquidity.

I see a bounce coming.  Not sure when but I'm a optimist .

Bob

p.s.  Lower gas prices have got to be helping the consumer.

countrywood  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 2:32:50 PM(UTC)
countrywood

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I have been searching for good cash flow and low or no debt.  Have tried some stock screeners.  All I could come up with was Exxon Mobile, Microsoft and Intel.  Has anyone found a good company meeting this criteria?  I don't have loads of money but enough to buy one good company in this buying opportunity. 

BlueOkie  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2008 5:48:37 PM(UTC)
BlueOkie

Microsoft is a good company with a wide moat. I recently started a position in it. The price so tempting the devil made me do it. (G)
DannyM  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2008 6:52:19 AM(UTC)
DannyM

Here are some names to throw out for consideration

http://finance.yahoo.com/special-edition/stocks-for-the-long-haul 

Sacjeanie  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:04:48 AM(UTC)
Sacjeanie

Danny,

I've been looking at one of the midcaps from your link - WW Grainger. I'd like to present three stocks at our next meeting and I'm narrowing it down to GWW, IBM and ROP.  I really like ROP and am trying not to unfairly tilt my review.

GWW - Grainger
IBM - IBM, with new leadership
ROP - Roper

Jeanie
Trader Jane's Investment Club

DannyM  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 1:10:36 PM(UTC)
DannyM

Hi Jeannie, I've added the three mentioned stock in their forums using the TK6 upload feature. All look good, maybe check financial ratings and pick one based on your SSG and a strong rating. I might look at GWW vs FAST

One recommendation for TK6 put the community button on the toolbar, it is hard to find being hidden under the view button. Also I would like to have the ability to use the itk file for upload so I can take advantage of the notes function available in TK6

Sacjeanie  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:21:34 PM(UTC)
Sacjeanie

Thanks Danny. As a matter of fact, we already own FAST. I didn't realize Grainger and Fastinal were considered similar industries. I just pulled down the latest survey of the weekly Valueline reviews and Grainger isn't published at the same time as Fastenal, so I don't think of them as being in the same industry. Thank you for providing SSG number for me to compare my figures to.

Jeanie
DannyM  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:25:50 PM(UTC)
DannyM

FAST might be considered a manufacturer but they have retail outlets also. GWW is a retailer. Let us know what your club decided and why.

Sacjeanie  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:15:27 PM(UTC)
Sacjeanie

Here is my SSG comparison page from Investor's Toolkit.  I've posted individual SSG's under each stock listing. I'm not familiar with the comparison features to be most concerned on this comparison.  To my untrained eye ROP looks like the leader. IBM and GWW are both rated A++ companies.  ROP is only a B+.

Sacjeanie  
#14 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:38:17 AM(UTC)
Sacjeanie

I wanted to report that our club voted to purchase shares of IBM.  Among the items that tipped the vote is 1) the company's credit rating, 2) the low P/E ratio and the dividend return.  Although we liked ROP, recent commentary I've read was that with the economic downturn, manufacturing orders are predicted to slow down for the stock .

Thank you to everyone who gave feedback on the comparison. 

Jeanie