Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mdrlux  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2019 2:07:10 AM(UTC)
mdrlux

How can a company have a "% Institutions" holding shown on the SSG above 100%? Our SSG for the stock, Copart, (CPRT) shows a "% Institutions" at 131.3%

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Pawche  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:53:10 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Imported data for the SSG comes from Morning Star. Morning Star has a different way of reporting institutional holdings. It reports holdings in dollars rather than shares held. I checked a Value Line report for CPRT which reports institutional holdings in shares owned. Using the total shares outstanding I calculated this percentage at just over 80%. On their online report Value Line also gives a graph of % institutional ownership. The most recent point on that graph was 84%.
One way Morning Star could give a bigger % is if institutions report dollar amounts and the price drops after their purchases but the value is not adjusted for the drop for the institutions in Morning Star data.
Doug Gerlach informed me he has seen some funds/institutions double counted if they have equal or greater than a 5% interest.
We sent a message to our IT head to find exactly how the SSG uses the Morning Star data to report the institutional holdings amount on the SSG. When we get an answer I will post again with a more definitive answer.

Russell Malley
thanks 1 user thanked Pawche for this useful post.
mdrlux on 1/22/2019(UTC)
Pawche  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 12:23:43 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
I heard back from IT. They inform me the % Institutional Holding is reported directly from the Morning Star data. Looks like a trip to the Morning Star web site is in order to track this down.

Russell