Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
petermvnelson  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:25:17 PM(UTC)
petermvnelson

Currently I can print the Toolkit summary report.
I would like the ability to save the report in a CSV format. (comma Separated Values)

Toolkit user since version 1.0

Thanks
Pete Nelson

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

BRGanta  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:10:43 AM(UTC)
BRGanta

Yes, it will be very useful to export these in a CSV or EXL formats for a later review.

However, heard this software Tolkit-6 is being phased out or will not be supported in the future.

I think you can markup and copy the data from the table in your own word, text or spreadsheet file.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 13, 2019 12:15:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pawche  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 1:43:24 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
Yes, it would be nice to be able to sort the report data via a spreadsheet.
The online SSG platform on the BetterInvesting website does allow a Portfolio Summary Report to be sorted by the different data headings. So far I have not found a way to sort on multiple criteria at once.

Russell Malley
BRGanta  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:48:32 PM(UTC)
BRGanta

If you can export the data from StockCentral, BetterInvestig, Toolkit or SSGPlus in the form of a CSV (comma separated values) or Excel spreadsheet, sorting by one or multiple criteria parameters is straightforward.

In the Excel spreadsheet, go to the "Data" "Sort" option in the top menu and then just chose the column to sort the data by a single variable or as many variables as you wish to in the order you enter these parameters. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Pawche  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2019 4:19:38 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Thanks, but my issue is not using Excel to sort using multiple criteria. It is finding a way to get the data into Excel or other spreadsheet from ToolKit6 or the BI online SSG platform. I tried a copy and paste from ToolKit6 but each row was entered into 1 cell. A bit of (tedious) work could get the data into a usable form.
Your comment did make me think the web based report from the online SSG might paste into Excel. I was successful with this approach. The data still needs a bit of cleaning but much less.
In the online Portfolio Summary Report you can do a Select All with a keyboard command or highlight the report starting at the Report Details text. Then copy and paste into Excel. Both procedures worked for me. Both procedures give a little extra unneeded parts of the online report but these are easy to work around or delete.
Still, I am going to bring up adding a direct export to Excel or CSV for this report for both ToolKit6 and the BI online platform at an ICLUBcentral staff meeting.

Russell Malley
Pawche  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2019 1:37:19 AM(UTC)
Pawche

I brought up the idea to add an export to Excel or a CSV file of the Portfolio Summary Report in Toolkit6 at an ICLUBcentral staff meeting. This is not going to happen. My information is there is no plan to add features to Toolkit but also no plan to stop support in the near future. The near future being within about 2 years.
You can request additions to the online SSG programs through the BetterInvesting web site. The URL for requests is https://feedback.betterinvesting.org/
There is a request already to add Excel or CSV export for Portfolio reports. If you are a member you can vote on this feature. If you use the following URL you can see a list of several Excel export requests. https://feedback.betterinvesting.org/forums/220694-stock-selection-guide-tools?query=Export%20PERT%20or%20Portfolio

When you see the list you can vote on features you would like added.

Russell
rk4353w  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2019 3:32:24 PM(UTC)
rk4353w

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
@BRGANTA - Where did you here Toolkit 6 is being phased out?
gerlach  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 9:20:17 PM(UTC)
gerlach

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rk4353w Go to Quoted Post
@BRGANTA - Where did you here Toolkit 6 is being phased out?

It's not so much that we are "phasing out" Toolkit 6, but rather we have only been releasing infrequent updates to the program and don't have plans to provide future updates unless absolutely necessary. We hope that the program will continue to be able to be used successfully for many more years, but we also have to be realistic and recognize that there could well be circumstances beyond our control that could affect the ability of Toolkit 6 to run on personal computers running future versions of the Windows operating system. For that reason, we are not making any guarantees about the future of the program.

In addition, any future version 7 of Toolkit would most certainly would be a web-based, cloud-enabled, cross-platform application so that it could reach the broadest audience and be most expediently supported. As BetterInvesting is already doing that with SSG Plus, our efforts would be duplicative and thus not a good investment of time and resources.

Doug
gerlach  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 9:26:39 PM(UTC)
gerlach

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Originally Posted by: petermvnelson Go to Quoted Post
Currently I can print the Toolkit summary report.
I would like the ability to save the report in a CSV format. (comma Separated Values)

The Portfolio Summary Report in Toolkit 6 is text based with fixed width columns. You can copy and paste it into Excel, then select Data > Text to Columns > Fixed Width and Excel will separate the text into columns. Then you can format it to suit your needs or save it as a CSV file if that's your objective.

Tip: position your mouse cursor in the Portfolio Summary Report, then press Ctrl+A on your keyboard (to Select All). Then press Ctrl+C to copy (or right-click and select Copy from the popup menu).

Doug
countrywood  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 8:23:59 PM(UTC)
countrywood

Doug, I explored Better Investing website awhile ago and I couldn't even figure out how to join and what I got for it. I think I will have to give up investing all together if I can't use Toolkit. How very depressing. Every bit of portfolio evaluation is covered in the forms.
Pawche  
#11 Posted : Friday, May 24, 2019 11:45:54 PM(UTC)
Pawche

Along with my work with ICLUBcentral I am also a volunteer with BetterInvesting. Many of the volunteers have complained about the crowded busy BI web site. You are not alone in finding it difficult to navigate. You need to go to the Store portion of the BI site to get the information you want.
Here is a direct link to the page with membership information.
https://www.betterinvesting.org/Public/Store/Store/Membership/default.htm

Russell
thanks 1 user thanked Pawche for this useful post.
countrywood on 5/26/2019(UTC)
rk4353w  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2019 11:02:11 PM(UTC)
rk4353w

I have been investing with the NAIC SSG for 20 years, and have done very well beating the S&P 500 during that period.
My preferred program has always been Stock Analysis, followed by Toolkit(insert #).
I am well versed with the methodology and the familiar SSG has always worked well giving me a good starting point from which to base my valuation/judgement of a company.
I have tried Better Investing's Online SSG, and it is cumbersome in comparison, in fact, I find it very difficult to follow such that I don't totally understand it. I am sure if I invested time in it, I could get more familiar with it, but it doesn't seem to be as flexible, or offer the depth of the standalone SSG programs that I know and love.

I am not totally sold on Chuck Carnevales FAST Graphs, but I found it easier to understand, and I personally think better implemented than Better Investing's online SSG.
I would be very disappointed if Toolkit faded into the background due to lack of support.

I appreciate all who contribute.
Kind regards,

Roger

Edited by user Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:28:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarity

BRGanta  
#13 Posted : Friday, January 3, 2020 4:45:36 PM(UTC)
BRGanta

Is it possible to lock the data in Toolkit-6 for a particular year or quarter similar to the feature available in SSGPlus software.

Currently I see only the feature in which we can lock the entire database only.

Thank you
Pawche  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 8:27:30 PM(UTC)
Pawche

In reply to rk4353w:
I also like the desktop version of ToolKit a bit better than the online SSG program on the BetterInvesting web site. It also depends on which version of the online program you are using, CORE or SSG+. The SSG+ is more like ToolKit than the CORE version. I do know that updating and adding features will be easier with the online platforms.
Input from users will help make the online SSG easier to use and possibly more powerful and useful. Please make your suggestions to improve the online SSG known.
There is one feature from the online programs I find quite useful that is not available in ToolKit. This is in the Stock Comparison. The online programs allow for data for the industry to be displayed along with the data for the individual companies chosen to be compared. If your comparison has companies from more than one industry, you can move back and forth among the data for multiple industries.

Russell Malley
Pawche  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 4, 2020 8:45:49 PM(UTC)
Pawche

In reply to BRGanta:
Yes, it is possible to lock data in ToolKit6. The lock function is not as individualized as in the online SSG platforms. In ToolKit you can lock ALL Basic, annual or quarterly data as a group. The online program allows you to be more specific with the data you want locked. For instance, you can lock all quarterly data for a specific year. In ToolKit you would lock all quarterly data for all years in the company database.
To lock the data in ToolKit open the SSG for the chosen company.
In the menu bar below the company name find the Data link.
Be sure it is not the Data link under the Refresh button.
In the bottom left corner of each data window, Basic Data, Annual Data and Quarterly Data is a lock icon. Click on the Lock Data link next to the icon to lock the data for that window. Repeat for each type of data you want locked.

Russell Malley
sean  
#16 Posted : Monday, January 6, 2020 9:48:18 AM(UTC)
sean

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Pawche Go to Quoted Post
In reply to BRGanta:
Yes, it is possible to lock data in ToolKit6. The lock function is not as individualized as in the online SSG platforms. In ToolKit you can lock ALL Basic, annual or quarterly data as a group. The online program allows you to be more specific with the data you want locked. For instance, you can lock all quarterly data for a specific year. In ToolKit you would lock all quarterly data for all years in the company database.
To lock the data in ToolKit open the SSG for the chosen company.
In the menu bar below the company name find the Data link.
Be sure it is not the Data link under the Refresh button.
In the bottom left corner of each data window, Basic Data, Annual Data and Quarterly Data is a lock icon. Click on the Lock Data link next to the icon to lock the data for that window. Repeat for each type of data you want locked.

Russell Malley

One small clarification to the above post. The Lock button on the Data window that Russell describes, does appear on all three tabs of the Data window, but is not applied individually. If the Lock is clicked while you are looking at the Annual Data tab, the Basic and Quarterly Data tabs are also locked, for example.