Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gerlach  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:27:52 AM(UTC)
gerlach

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)

It's been a turbulent week in the U.S. stock markets, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average and Standard & Poor's 500 Index posting some big declines, only to bounce back with some gains. Concerns about the possibility of another recession, how our elected representatives are handling the federal deficit, and the situation in the European economy have generated a good deal of volatility in the markets.

The question is: are these factors changing your investment strategy? Speak out here!

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

bobadams  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:45:37 AM(UTC)
bobadams

The answer to the question is "NO". Selling low, then buying high when the market recovers, is not an action that will make you rich--or happy.

I DO believe this is a time to look for companies in your portfolio that may have dropped in price before recent downturns because of adverse news or reports and look at the possibility of selling them to raise cash. If already down in price, any additional drop because of market turbulence might be small. If so, selling would raise cash which could be used to buy better companies during this time when the babies have been thrown out with the bath water.
ETraub  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 6:29:48 AM(UTC)
ETraub

Simply put, a reduction in the price of a stock does not mean that there has been any reduction in its value.

ET

Ellis Traub
hongan  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2011 10:07:20 AM(UTC)
hongan

After experiencing the last crisis (previous to this one), I can't agree more with Doug. I wasn't investing, nor do I have a lot of money to invest now, but experiencing all these give me a good lesson -- I should learn to invest. I thought of buying amazon more than a year ago, and if I watched Doug's interview on 'Amazon vs Walmart' and did buy it, I could at least have a little money for investing now..

Doug, when's your next interview I'll definitely watch it!