Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jncraig  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 5:31:32 PM(UTC)
jncraig

Happy New Year, everyone!

What are your investing new year's resolutions?

Joe

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

AmyRNeilson  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:27:48 AM(UTC)
AmyRNeilson

Hmm. That is a great question, Joe. For starters, I'm going to work on ridding myself of that nagging feeling that I've somehow missed the boat on some great stock...or chastising myself for not buying enough of what turned out to be a great stock! In 2009, that stock for me was Ford Motor Co., and though I bought a good number of shares at a great price and my investment is already a three or four-bagger, of course, I find myself daydreaming from time to time about just how much more I could have made had I bought even more shares. I'm going to keep reminding myself that, for long-term investors, it's not a matter of timing the market...there's still lots of time to buy great companies and ride the wave of long-term growth...and yes, it's not too late to add on to my shares of Ford...
bobadams  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:14:33 AM(UTC)
bobadams

That's kind of a painful question to answer. Even though 2009 was a good year for my portfolio, the thought still congers up a picture of my portfolio not beating the market averages the year before--2008. Why is it the bad things in life aren't erased by the good things, and I've had a lot more good things than bad.

The reason I bring up 2008 is I read in one of George Nicholson's writings not long ago where he pointed out that in bear markets growth stocks to go down faster and farther than market averages. Whew! That made me feel a lot better December 31, 2008. He also said growth stocks rise faster and farther than the market average in a bull market. And guess what? My portfolio did much better than the market in 2009. Looking back over the years, I find his admonition true during each recession, and the following bull market.

My point of all of this, and my resolution for 2010, is to remember George Nicholson's observation and stay cool when others are losing their heads.

Bob