Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AmyRNeilson  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2011 6:56:18 AM(UTC)
AmyRNeilson

How would a downgrade by any or all of the major rating agencies affect our economy, short term and/or long term? Is the bill that President Obama signed into law on Tuesday just a band-aid, or a true fix? And do you see this as potentially triggering a double-dip recession? Thoughts, anyone?

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

bobadams  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2011 9:27:25 AM(UTC)
bobadams

I don't know specifics of how a downgrading by the major rating agencies might affect our economy but I suspect it wouldn't be good. I do think it would allow the grin on the "face" of other countries to grow wider.

The bill signed into law IMO is simply a band-aid, and worse, a band-aid with no sticky stuff to make it adhere. I doesn't reduce the problem it only slows the growth of the problem. Members of Congress are only putting the big problem off farther into the future. I liken it to "kicking the can down the road", but first wrapping it in a towel so it reduces the noise it makes.

The bill signed into law IMO is simply a band-aid, and worse, a band-aid with no sticky stuff to make it adhere. I doesn't reduce the problem it only slows the growth of the problem. Members of Congress are only putting the big problem off farther into the future. I liken it to "kicking the can down the road", but first wrapping it in a towel to reduce the noise it makes.

The serious damage done by the wrangling in Congress is going to be with us for some time IMO. They have shattered confidence in the Democratic process. For seven months they have played the political game without regard to damage being caused to our country--pure self promotion, idealism, and utter disregard for our children's future.

Their lack of action and cooperation displayed an ugly side of humanity, and constituents as well as investors are disgusted and fed up with the system. Investors, basically, want out. That seriously harms them in the future, creating another problem when they reach retirement age.

Our image within the country as well as outside has been harmed. As an interviewee on TV said, "Our skirts were lifted and the world didn't like what they could see."
DannyM  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:55:45 AM(UTC)
DannyM

A downgrade can't be good. As a reminder the last recession took the market down to the 7,000's. Would a recession rebound drive it further? I'm glad,(not really), that Congress saw fit to give themselves a month long vacation with the deficit such an imminent threat. Some are saying that large mutinationals are the place to be for investors going forward as they have been holding large cash sums since the rebound. I'll be looking to add to my dividend payers positions once I feel the knife has hit the floor.

I don't think signing the bill triggered anything that wasn't coming anyway. It just exposed how dysfunctional the federal government has become. I include all parties in that statement. 535 losers and a leader who has lost the way, now that is scarier than DOW 7000.