Login
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vgerstner41  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 2, 2023 10:43:14 AM(UTC)
vgerstner41

Is there anyway to get a previous Roster of Quality from as far back as 10 years ago? I was hoping to run a study of how stocks on the Roster of Quality in the last 5-10 years perform.

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Pawche  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 5, 2023 3:10:16 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 44 post(s)
This is a very good question. I'll ask if historical data is still available at a staff meeting. If it is, rather than having you calculate performance data, would posting on StockCentral be helpful? That is, have the calculations done by us and then posted. I think a time period starting when a company first appears on the roster and ending when they leave the list would be a good possibility.
It may take a while for such a feature to get implemented, if approved. Tax season is in full swing which takes up resources.

Russell Malley
vgerstner41  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 8, 2023 9:19:43 AM(UTC)
vgerstner41

I appreciate the response! Either would be very enlightening and definitely helpful. If we could see the week to week roster of quality from the last 10 years, I agree that a simulated portfolio that involves buying a company as it appears on the roster then selling when it comes off would be a great study. I think there's even more we could do from there though.

If you guys are fairly busy, and won't be able to get to this anytime soon, I'd love to do this study in parallel with you. If it is simple enough to just provide a roster from 5-10 years ago, I could start there. If there is a reason you wouldn't want to share this historical data publicly or at least through your own filter, I understand.
Pawche  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2024 2:19:29 AM(UTC)
Pawche

Sorry, it has been a busy time with getting tax printers submitted and approved by IRS and state tax authorities.
There are no performance statistics for the Roster of Quality Companies. The Roster is to show quality companies but not to determine if they are at reasonable prices.
While no performance statistics are available and none planned, I'll ask again if there are any saved files of the Roster from the past. Personally, I think this would be an interesting thing to determine. You inspired me to do an SSG on all the companies on the Roster to start the new year.

Russell
vgerstner41  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 22, 2024 3:17:51 PM(UTC)
vgerstner41

Thanks for checking back in! Understood on the function of the Roster of Quality. Our club has found that quality has a larger influence on a stocks returns than any other analysis we do from the small sample size that is our portfolio. We were hoping to increase that sample size by studying some stocks from previous rosters.

Our group is also looking at determining when is a good time to replace a stock and thought a stock dropping in quality might be one of a few criteria to follow. We were hoping to prove this by looking at some stock that were once considered to be of high quality and then dropped in quality.

That's just some extra clarification on what we were hoping to study. We have started this to some degree by looking at old SSG files we have had from previous studies and estimating quality in the TSSW. An old roster of quality from 5-10 years ago would help us know where to look.

Thanks!

Edited by user Monday, January 22, 2024 3:19:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pawche  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 25, 2024 11:57:34 PM(UTC)
Pawche

I asked at our last staff meeting about past Roster of Quality lists. Unfortunately, the list has not been archived. So, no past lists are available from StockCentral. However, I may have some older copies saved on my home computer. I will check. This search will need to wait a few weeks. I am in temporary quarters while some remodeling is done. If things go according to schedule I'll have access to all my old files by mid March.
I'll also check with BetterInvesting volunteers. They may have saved copies of past Rosters. I am hoping for some luck here because I find this a very interesting research project. If no past lists become available, maybe starting now with the current list would be useful.
Russell
vgerstner41  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 26, 2024 1:39:28 PM(UTC)
vgerstner41

The oldest Roster of Quality I have only goes back to June 12, 2023. I decided just to run a very simply study with that: I wanted to compare the % return of stocks that have remained on the roster of quality since then and stocks that have fallen off the roster of quality since then.

The June 12, 2023 RoQ has 32 stocks that are not on today's RoQ, and 33 stocks that have remained on the RoQ. The average return rate of the the 32 stocks that fell off the RoQ was +14.9%, and +18.7% for those that remained. For reference, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index went up 11.7% in the same time, SnP500 was 12.7%, and Nasdaq was 14.9%.

I wanted to keep this study simply and quick, so there are some flaws (and probably some others beyond this list):
  • Dividends were not taken into account

• There was no accounting for when a stock fell off the RoQ (i.e. if it fell off on June 13, 2023 vs January 24, 2024)

• There was no accounting for any stocks that were added to the RoQ between June 12, 2023 and today

I think this study would be much more definitive over a longer time period, but, in this small sample, this study does show that higher quality stocks tend to outperform the stock market. Would be great to compare "higher quality stocks" to "higher quality stocks that are at a fair value when purchased" :)

Edited by user Friday, January 26, 2024 1:42:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified